Senior Creative Copywriter (Business Development), Wiley Education Services: December 2017 – Present
Wiley Education Services partners with traditional, not-for-profit higher education institutions to grow and develop their programs online and on campus. I focus on content and marketing strategies to attract new partners, highlighting our technology solutions and suite of services to help them meet the challenges of an increasingly competitive higher education landscape.
Current and recent projects and responsibilities include:
- Strategizing and revising messaging for Wiley Education Services and associated Wiley businesses
- Developing topics and content for articles, blog posts, and white papers
- Soliciting and managing freelance writers
- Refining project management processes for content creation and RFP development
- Working with other team members to analyze digital performance metrics and adjust strategies as needed
Senior Creative Copywriter (Marketing), Wiley Education Services: October 2014 – December 2017
I played a senior creative and strategic role in the marketing department at this higher education company. Wiley partners with more than 35 traditional colleges and universities, many of them well known, to develop, manage, and market their online professional degree and certificate programs. I worked closely with brand managers and graphic designers to create compelling digital and print content, concepts, and campaigns. The formats ranges from ads to researched articles.
As a result of my long tenure and expanded role at the organization, I developed expert knowledge in a wide variety of fields, including health care, business, criminal justice, and education.
- Creating and executing a content marketing strategy targeted to nurses interested in earning an advanced degree in their field.
- Planning a comprehensive website to highlight WES’s services to potential academic partners.
- Customizable and interactive microsites for potential leads based on their professional backgrounds.
Copywriter/Content Manager, Deltak/Wiley Education Services: April 2009 – October 2014
When I joined Deltak, I was the only copywriter in the organization. My initial role focused on creating and managing a content creation process for online programs offered by Deltak’s higher education partners. I worked with brand managers, partnership directors, and faculty members on content strategy and execution on extremely tight deadlines. I also developed a stable of freelance writers to help meet the growing workload and functioned as a managing editor in addition to my own writing responsibilities. During this time Deltak was acquired by John Wiley & Sons and renamed Wiley Education Services.
Freelance Writer: 2003 – 2013
I have contributed to major local and national publications, including:
- Chicago Magazine – style coverage, personal profiles
- “Eight Forty-Eight,” Chicago Public Radio – style-related stories
- Chicago Reader – fashion features and layouts, restaurant reviews, blog posts
- Crain’s Chicago Business – food and wine commentaries
- Modern Bride – profiles on wedding trendsetters and stylists
- Travel + Leisure – hotel and restaurant reviews
- Women’s Wear Daily – Chicago boutique and designer features, retail coverage
I also wrote for many guidebooks about my favorite city:
- Chicago Smart Guide (sole author)
- Chicago Insight Guide (contributor)
- Real City Guide to Chicago (contributor)
Personal Stylist: 2003 – 2012
I ran my own business working with clients one-on-one and speaking to groups about shopping techniques, complementary styles, colors, fashion-forward choices, the psychology of style, and other topics.
Editor, UNext.com: 2002 – 2003
UNext was one of the first companies to offer degree programs online. In this role, I worked collaboratively with subject matter experts to create accurate and engaging course content. translating extremely technical information into a cohesive curriculum for online students.
Travel and Study in Rome, Italy: 2001 – 2002
I took off for a year and formally studied Italian cooking and language, gaining an insider’s perspective on Italian art, fashion, food, wine, and culture.
Assistant Editor, Chicago Reader: 1997 – 2000
As the editor of the Calendar section for this alternative weekly, I assigned and edited short profiles and blurbs about local events. I also contributed pieces on style mavens, unusual artists, and various oddballs and happenings around town.
- Master of Arts in Communication, Queens University of Charlotte
- Bachelor of Arts in English, Northwestern University
- Certificate; Book Publishing, Denver Publishing Institute